Award in Strategy
Course Reference: M3.2 STG
Focus: Business and Management
This module will look at strategy as an expression of the direction an organisation wants to take, which in turn, is translated into goals and objectives that need to be implemented. Strategic thinking about making informed decisions about the future of an organisation, and about putting forward a plan of action to achieve long-term goals will be explored.
While tools, models, and frameworks will be researched, the emphasis of this module is to challenge the learners to think critically and develop their analytical skills and intellectual appreciation of different schools of thought when exploring strategic options. Learners will be encouraged to evaluate and reflect on a range of business solutions and thus gain an insight into the strengths and limitations of such tools, models, and frameworks. Throughout the module, learners will have the opportunity to apply and carry out analysis and evaluation of strategic options, as well as recognise the challenges of formulation and strategic implementation.
Our tutors have excellent experience within their field of expertise as well as the necessary academic background. You will receive a high-quality delivery in a participative environment. You will be engaged in discussions, activities, case studies, presentations and group work creating a bond between you and other students that forges friendships and a new network of professionals.
There are no exams on this programme. The method of assessment to attain this award is based on different methods such as preparing a portfolio of work, building a reflective journal, writing an assignment, and others. The assignment brief is available to you in good time so that you can organise and plan your study time accordingly week by week. You will be guided through the assessment requirements, and you will also receive ongoing feedback throughout the course of studies.
Delivery of sessions are held in the evenings (typically starting at 17:30 hours) on different weekdays and according to the timetable of the modules. There is also the possibility of a few Saturday morning sessions.
Opportunities for further studies
Upon successful completion of this Award, you can:
- Take up the opportunity to follow other Awards in different areas of business and management, or
- Follow the Certificate in Business and Management (30 ECTS), and
- This Certificate programme will also lead you to further studies.
This award is designed for:
- Adult learners who want to have an immersive learning experience in this area.
- Working professionals, who have been working for a number of years, and who would like to acquire competencies, knowledge and skills in this area of business and management.
- Prospective learners, who already have a Level 4 and/or a Level 5 qualification, and who would like to challenge themselves within this area of business and management, to further develop their expertise.
The entry requirements are:
- Three MQF/EQF Level 4 individual single subject qualifications and at least 18 years of age.
- One MQF/EQF Level 4 qualification of at least 120 ECTS, or equivalent and at least 18 years of age.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and at least 24 years of age.
- The MATSEC Matriculation Certificate. This comprises 6 subjects, and include passes in a language, a science subject, a humanistic subject, and a pass in the subject ‘Systems of Knowledge’. Two of the 6 subjects must be at an Advanced Level, three of the subjects must be at an Intermediate Level and a pass at the ‘Systems of Knowledge’ subject.
- A pass (at least Grade 5 of better) in the Secondary Education Certificate examinations in the following subjects: English language, Mathematics, and one other subject.
Other equivalent (international) qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All learners must have proficiency in the English language (evidence of use of the English language at work, 0-level pass in the English language, English as the national language or mother tongue, or other equivalent foreign qualifications equating to Common European Framework (at B2), such as IELTS (overall score of 6.0 with no element less than 5.5), Cambridge English (overall score of 169 with minimum scores of 162), TOEFL (at 72) and others).
- Assess current performance taking into consideration the internal and external environment of an organisation
- Monitor and assess business current state against future goals to identify areas requiring change
- Develop different strategic options to achieve business goals
- Devise solutions to implementation challenges for the achievement of strategic goals
- Core constructs of strategic planning such as the different levels of strategy, quantifiable progress, short medium and long-term goals
- The key steps in strategic planning including an understanding of the vision, mission and values of the organisation
- The organisational attributes that can be leveraged for success such as tangible and intangible resources, technological assets and human resources
- A range of ways of making value judgements on the suitability of fit between organisational strategy and the current business environment (micro and macro influences)
- How to conduct a strategic gap analysis using a range of tools such as VRIO analysis, Core Competencies analysis, Value Chain analysis and others
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Effectively conduct a strategic gap analysis and identify opportunities/options
- Propose at least 4 strategic options to achieve business goals
- Select with justification the most suitable strategic option
- Create a workable (SMART) plan to ensure implementation of the strategic option
Judgement skills and critical abilities
- Evaluate the goals and objectives of an organisation
- Assess the resources and capabilities of an organisation
- Assess the external competitive environment of an organisation
- Criticise the strengths and limitations of the tools, frameworks and models used to arrive to one option
- Evaluate methods to measure the success of the plan
Module specific communication skills
- Identify and apply the most appropriate way to communicate the strategic plan within a specific organisation
- Use relevant and appropriate terminology when discussing and exchanging views in a business context
- Communicate and articulate their ideas clearly in writing and orally
Module specific learner skills
- Discuss the need for strategy
- Discuss common reasons for failed strategy implementation
- Appropriately and accurately apply the Harvard referencing system
- Acknowledge all sources of information
- Individually carry out further research in this area
Module-Specific Digital Skills and Competences
- Search, gather, communicate and share related information using digital resources
- Identify reliable, authoritative, and current digital sources
|Accreditation Status||Approved Higher Education Programme|
|Level of Qualification||MQF / EQF Level 6|
|Mode of Delivery||Traditional / Face-to-Face Learning / Live Streamed|
|Hours of Learning||Contact Hours: 40 / Self-Study Hours: 140 / Assessment Hours: 20 / Total Hours: 200|
|Study mode||Work based programme delivered in the evenings and some Saturdays.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Programme Delivered||Malta Business School, Level 3, Sean Building, Psaila Street Birkirara BKR1908, Malta|
|Mode of assessment||Assessed pieces of work (no exam)|
|Teaching and Learning Approach||At MBS our teaching and learning approach is based on adult learning principles and is unreservedly participant centred and experiential in nature. Participants are expected to contribute in group work and discussions and actively participate during sessions.|
|Grading System as approved by MFHEA||Fail, Pass, Merit and Distinction|
|Date of Next Intake||To be announced|
|Mode of Attendance||Full-time or Part-time studies – Talk to us for more details.|
|Registration||Send us your CV for review and without obligation so that we can check your eligibility for this programme.|
|Visa Requirements||Third Country Nationals are advised to read VISA requirements from here|
|Progression Pathways||Successful learners who achieve this Award might want to join the Certificate in Business and Management programme, the Diploma in Business and Management programme, the Higher Diploma in Business and Management programme, and the Bachelor in Business and Management programme. Talk to us so that we will guide you accordingly.|
Terms & Conditions apply, talk to us for further detail on this programme.