Award in Personal Development 3 – Leading others ethically
Course Reference: M3.4 PD3
Focus: Business and Management
This module will enable learners to identify and relate to leadership components, styles and characteristics while gaining the skills needed to become better leaders. It will focus on increasing personal awareness about who they are as leaders, and further insights into their strengths and areas for improvement. Critical to the success of leaders is their ethical orientation. Learners will focus on business ethics from a practical and contemporary perspective to nurture ethical leaders.
Our tutors have excellent experience within their field of expertise as well as the necessary academic background. You will receive a high-quality delivery in a participative environment. You will be engaged in discussions, activities, case studies, presentations and group work creating a bond between you and other students that forges friendships and a new network of professionals.
There are no exams on this programme. The method of assessment to attain this award is based on different methods such as preparing a portfolio of work, building a reflective journal, writing an assignment, and others. The assignment brief is available to you in good time so that you can organise and plan your study time accordingly week by week. You will be guided through the assessment requirements, and you will also receive ongoing feedback throughout the course of studies.
Delivery of sessions are held in the evenings (typically starting at 17:30 hours) on different weekdays and according to the timetable of the modules. There is also the possibility of a few Saturday morning sessions.
Opportunities for further studies
Upon successful completion of this Award, you can:
- Take up the opportunity to follow other Awards in different areas of business and management, or
- Follow the Certificate in Business and Management (30 ECTS), and
- This Certificate programme will also lead you to further studies.
This award is designed for:
- Adult learners who wish to follow a career in business.
- Working professionals who have been working for a number of years and who would like to acquire knowledge and skills in business and management and thus move ahead in their careers.
- Prospective learners with a Level 4 or a Level 5 qualification who are interested in further developing their education.
The entry requirement is:
- Successfully completed the Award in Personal Development 2 – Leading self with confidence
- Leading by example through the application of ethical and value-based leadership
- Recognising potential in people and applying appropriate and effective ways of developing leaders
- Comparatively assess different leaders from a range of workplace contexts
- Critically apply EQ and IQ strategies to identify and overcome people challenges
- The key components and characteristics of effective leadership such as effective communication, designing a shared vision, and strategic thinking and planning
- The difference between manager and leader roles and their characteristics (such as designing vs implementing business plans, inspiring vs managing people, focusing on goals vs focusing on tasks)
- A range of leadership styles and approaches (such as transformational, strategic, transactional)
- The importance and elements of business values and ethics, including the 3 parts to the discipline of business ethics
- The key constructs of EQ and IQ and how the two complement each other for effective leadership (IQ – analysis & judgement, planning & organizing, strategic perspective, and creativity & risk-taking; EQ – self-awareness, self-regulation, intrinsic motivation, empathy, and social skills)
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Assess and select appropriate leadership approaches within a business context
- Develop a leadership matrix to measure and evaluate own leadership skills
- Measure and reflect on own IQ and EQ and ways of further developing these areas
- Communicate and get buy-in for ideas to further encourage positive behaviours, attitudes, and values in the workplace
Judgement skills and critical abilities
- Reflect on their own approach towards the workplace and how this impacts their own performance
- Recognise own levels of IQ and EQ in responding to and addressing a range of workplace challenges
- Assess the reasons why organisations need business ethics
- Evaluate business ethics dilemmas that can occur at your workplace
Module specific communication skills
- Use relevant and appropriate terminology when discussing and exchanging views in a business context
- Communicate and articulate their ideas clearly in writing and orally
- Confidently give a formal presentation to a variety of audiences
Module specific learner skills
- Outline the historical rise of ethics and identify common ethical principles in a business perspective
- Assess and make recommendations for enhancing existing business ethics and positive values in a specific organisation
- Appropriately and accurately apply the Harvard referencing system
- Acknowledge all sources of information
- Individually carry out further research in this area
Module-Specific Digital Skills and Competences
- Search, gather, communicate and share related information using digital resources
- Identify reliable, authoritative, and current digital sources
|Accreditation Status||Approved Higher Education Programme|
|Level of Qualification||MQF / EQF Level 6|
|Mode of Delivery||Traditional / Face-to-Face Learning / Live Streamed|
|Hours of Learning||Contact Hours: 40 / Self-Study Hours: 120 / Assessment Hours: 40 / Total Hours: 200|
|Study mode||Work based programme delivered in the evenings and some Saturdays.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Programme Delivered||Malta Business School, Level 3, Sean Building, Psaila Street Birkirara BKR1908, Malta|
|Mode of assessment||Assessed pieces of work (no exam)|
|Teaching and Learning Approach||At MBS our teaching and learning approach is based on adult learning principles and is unreservedly participant centred and experiential in nature. Participants are expected to contribute in group work and discussions and actively participate during sessions.|
|Grading System as approved by MFHEA||Fail, Pass, Merit and Distinction|
|Date of Next Intake||To be announced|
|Mode of Attendance||Full-time or Part-time studies – Talk to us for more details.|
|Registration||Send us your CV for review and without obligation so that we can check your eligibility for this programme.|
|Visa Requirements||Third Country Nationals are advised to read VISA requirements from here|
|Progression Pathways||Successful learners who achieve this Award might want to join the Certificate in Business and Management programme, the Diploma in Business and Management programme, the Higher Diploma in Business and Management programme, and the Bachelor in Business and Management programme. Talk to us so that we will guide you accordingly.|
Terms & Conditions apply, talk to us for further detail on this programme.