Award in Personal Development 1 – Self Managed Learning
Course Reference: M1.6 PD1
Focus: Business and Management
In this module learners will develop an understanding of the essential importance of self-managed learning in enhancing lifelong development. They will learn about themselves as learners and be able to self-assess their own skills, competencies and knowledge. As a result, learners will be able to continually identify and take action towards their upskilling for their continued professional and personal development.
Personal Development runs throughout the three years of this degree programme. In year One, learners are equipped with the tools to juggle and manage the multiple demands of work, life and study time while promoting and strengthening their lifelong learning. In year Two, learners focus on further developing their potential and capabilities through interpersonal skills in personal and professional settings for both personal and professional development. In year Three learners consolidate their learning by applying it to develop effective and ethical leadership.
Our tutors have excellent experience within their field of expertise as well as the necessary academic background. You will receive a high-quality delivery in a participative environment. You will be engaged in discussions, activities, case studies, presentations and group work creating a bond between you and other students that forges friendships and a new network of professionals.
There are no exams on this programme. The method of assessment to attain this award is based on different methods such as preparing a portfolio of work, building a reflective journal, writing an assignment, and others. The assignment brief is available to you in good time so that you can organise and plan your study time accordingly week by week. You will be guided through the assessment requirements, and you will also receive ongoing feedback throughout the course of studies.
Delivery of sessions are held in the evenings (typically starting at 17:30 hours) on different weekdays and according to the timetable of the modules. There is also the possibility of a few Saturday morning sessions.
Opportunities for further studies
Upon successful completion of this Award, you can:
- Take up the opportunity to follow other Awards in different areas of business and management, or
- Follow the Certificate in Business and Management (30 ECTS), and
- This Certificate programme will also lead you to further studies.
This award is designed for:
- Adult learners who want to have an immersive learning experience in this area.
- Working professionals, who have been working for a number of years, and who would like to acquire competencies, knowledge and skills in this area of business and management.
- Prospective learners, who already have a Level 4 and/or a Level 5 qualification, and who would like to challenge themselves within this area of business and management, to further develop their expertise.
The entry requirements are:
- Three MQF/EQF Level 4 individual single subject qualifications and at least 18 years of age.
- One MQF/EQF Level 4 qualification of at least 120 ECTS, or equivalent and at least 18 years of age.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and at least 24 years of age.
- The MATSEC Matriculation Certificate. This comprises 6 subjects, and include passes in a language, a science subject, a humanistic subject, and a pass in the subject ‘Systems of Knowledge’. Two of the 6 subjects must be at an Advanced Level, three of the subjects must be at an Intermediate Level and a pass at the ‘Systems of Knowledge’ subject.
- A pass (at least Grade 5 of better) in the Secondary Education Certificate examinations in the following subjects: English language, Mathematics, and one other subject.
Other equivalent (international) qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All learners must have proficiency in the English language (evidence of use of the English language at work, 0-level pass in the English language, English as the national language or mother tongue, or other equivalent foreign qualifications equating to Common European Framework (at B2), such as IELTS (overall score of 6.0 with no element less than 5.5), Cambridge English (overall score of 169 with minimum scores of 162), TOEFL (at 72) and others).
- Assess their motivation, approaches and ways of learning to identify concrete and appropriate self-managed learning opportunities
- Evaluate how lifelong development can be enhanced by self-managed learning
- Demonstrate ownership and responsibility for own personal and professional development
- Create medium and long- term personal and professional development plans
- Key essential learner skills that promote lifelong learning (such as Honey & Mumford learning styles, Kolb’s learning style, learning from others, and learning through research)
- A range of learning opportunities that promote skills development for personal and professional growth (such as maintenance learning, growth learning, shock learning, and mentoring & coaching)
- Different career paths in a chosen sector or industry, including lateral pathways
- A range of learning choices based on career trajectory and own learner skills, personal and professional development needs and the activities required to meet them
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Assess different self-managed learning approaches which can be used to enhance lifelong learning
- Evaluate individual and organisational benefits gained through self-managed learning
- Rate own current skills and competencies against professional standards and organisational objectives
- Select appropriate self-reflection and self-assessment tools to monitor and chart ongoing learning progress
Judgement skills and critical abilities
- Appraise and recommend ways how lifelong learning can encourage personal and professional development
Module-Specific Communication Skills
- Use relevant and appropriate terminology when discussing and exchanging views in a business context.
- Communicate and articulate their ideas clearly in writing and orally.
- Confidently give a formal presentation to a variety of audiences
Module-Specific Learner Skills
- Explore developmental opportunities that can support meeting own current and future needs
- Appropriately and accurately apply the Harvard referencing system.
- Acknowledge all sources of information
- Individually carry out further research in this area
Module-Specific Digital Skills and Competences
- Search, gather, communicate and share related information using digital resources
- Identify reliable, authoritative, and current digital sources
|Accreditation Status||Approved Higher Education Programme|
|Level of Qualification||MQF / EQF Level 5|
|Mode of Delivery||Traditional / Face-to-Face Learning / Live Streamed|
|Hours of Learning||Contact Hours: 20 / Self-Study Hours: 60 / Assessment Hours: 20 / Total Hours: 100|
|Study mode||Work based programme delivered in the evenings and some Saturdays.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Programme Delivered||Malta Business School, Level 3, Sean Building, Psaila Street Birkirara BKR1908, Malta|
|Mode of assessment||Assessed pieces of work (no exam)|
|Teaching and Learning Approach||At MBS our teaching and learning approach is based on adult learning principles and is unreservedly participant centred and experiential in nature. Participants are expected to contribute in group work and discussions and actively participate during sessions.|
|Grading System as approved by MFHEA||Fail, Pass, Merit and Distinction|
|Date of Next Intake||To be announced|
|Mode of Attendance||Full-time or Part-time studies – Talk to us for more details.|
|Registration||Send us your CV for review and without obligation so that we can check your eligibility for this programme.|
|Visa Requirements||Third Country Nationals are advised to read VISA requirements from here|
|Progression Pathways||Successful learners who achieve this Award might want to join the Certificate in Business and Management programme, the Diploma in Business and Management programme, the Higher Diploma in Business and Management programme, and the Bachelor in Business and Management programme. Talk to us so that we will guide you accordingly.|
Terms & Conditions apply, talk to us for further detail on this programme.