Award in Managing People
Course Reference: M1.3 MP
Focus: Business and Management
This module will provide learners with the knowledge and understanding of people management strategies used in organizations. While gaining an understanding of the impact of both personal differences and organisational factors on individuals’ behaviours at work, learners will also be equipped with leadership and motivational theories that can be used to develop and empower people at the workplace.
By the end of the module, learners will be able to grasp the importance of how motivation, culture and the organisational structure, amongst others, effect the overall performance of organisations.
Our tutors have excellent experience within their field of expertise as well as the necessary academic background. You will receive a high-quality delivery in a participative environment. You will be engaged in discussions, activities, case studies, presentations and group work creating a bond between you and other students that forges friendships and a new network of professionals.
There are no exams on this programme. The method of assessment to attain this award is based on different methods such as preparing a portfolio of work, building a reflective journal, writing an assignment, and others. The assignment brief is available to you in good time so that you can organise and plan your study time accordingly week by week. You will be guided through the assessment requirements, and you will also receive ongoing feedback throughout the course of studies.
Delivery of sessions are held in the evenings (typically starting at 17:30 hours) on different weekdays and according to the timetable of the modules. There is also the possibility of a few Saturday morning sessions.
Opportunities for further studies
Upon successful completion of this Award, you can:
- Take up the opportunity to follow other Awards in different areas of business and management, or
- Follow the Certificate in Business and Management (30 ECTS), and
- This Certificate programme will also lead you to further studies.
This award is designed for:
- Adult learners who want to have an immersive learning experience in this area.
- Working professionals, who have been working for a number of years, and who would like to acquire competencies, knowledge and skills in this area of business and management.
- Prospective learners, who already have a Level 4 and/or a Level 5 qualification, and who would like to challenge themselves within this area of business and management, to further develop their expertise.
The entry requirements are:
- Three MQF/EQF Level 4 individual single subject qualifications and at least 18 years of age.
- One MQF/EQF Level 4 qualification of at least 120 ECTS, or equivalent and at least 18 years of age.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and at least 24 years of age.
- The MATSEC Matriculation Certificate. This comprises 6 subjects, and include passes in a language, a science subject, a humanistic subject, and a pass in the subject ‘Systems of Knowledge’. Two of the 6 subjects must be at an Advanced Level, three of the subjects must be at an Intermediate Level and a pass at the ‘Systems of Knowledge’ subject.
- A pass (at least Grade 5 of better) in the Secondary Education Certificate examinations in the following subjects: English language, Mathematics, and one other subject.
Other equivalent (international) qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All learners must have proficiency in the English language (evidence of use of the English language at work, 0-level pass in the English language, English as the national language or mother tongue, or other equivalent foreign qualifications equating to Common European Framework (at B2), such as IELTS (overall score of 6.0 with no element less than 5.5), Cambridge English (overall score of 169 with minimum scores of 162), TOEFL (at 72) and others).
- Judiciously select and justify the use of a range of strategies to promote high levels of performance
- Analyse thoughtfully the impact of different management styles on individuals and teams
- Apply motivational theories to assess how different aspects of the working environment impacts the performance of people
- Evaluate a range of workforce development initiatives based on sustainability and ethical considerations
- The key organisational factors that impact its workforce and their performance
- A range of people development approaches including coaching and mentoring
- The role of coaching and mentoring in the development of people in a range of organisational contexts and situations
- The role and importance of workforce development for national and business sustainability
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Evaluate the impact of an organisation’s structure on its people and business
- Examine different leadership styles and the impact they have on employees c) Consider personal differences and how these impact on an individual and team behaviours in the workplace
- Assess people development strategies vis-à-vis their contribution towards sustainable workforce development
Judgement skills and critical abilities
- Critique a range of people management approaches and strategies to assess their impact on employees
- Compare various approaches to managing different individuals and deduce the impact these approaches leave on performance at work
Module specific learner skills
- Analyse how organizational culture impacts people in organisations
- Identify the implications of flexible working practices to employees and organisations
|Accreditation Status||Approved Local Higher Education Programme|
|Level of Qualification||MQF / EQF Level 5|
|Mode of Delivery||Traditional / Face-to-Face Learning|
|Hours of Learning||Contact Hours: 40 / Self-Study Hours: 130 / Assessment Hours: 30 / Total Hours: 200|
|Study mode||Work based programme delivered in the evenings and some Saturdays.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Programme Delivered||Malta Business School, Level 3, Sean Building, Psaila Street Birkirara BKR1908, Malta|
|Mode of assessment||Assessed pieces of work (no exam)|
|Teaching and Learning Approach||At MBS our teaching and learning approach is based on adult learning principles and is unreservedly participant centred and experiential in nature. Participants are expected to contribute in group work and discussions and actively participate during sessions.|
|Grading System as approved by MFHEA||Fail, Pass, Merit and Distinction|
|Date of Next Intake||To be announced|
|Registration||Send us your CV for review and without obligation so that we can check your eligibility for this programme.|
|Visa Requirements||Third Country Nationals are advised to read VISA requirements from here|
|Progression Pathways||Successful learners who achieve this Award might want to join the Certificate in Business and Management programme, the Diploma in Business and Management programme, the Higher Diploma in Business and Management programme, and the Bachelor in Business and Management programme. Talk to us so that we will guide you accordingly.|
Terms & Conditions apply, talk to us for further detail on this programme.