Award in Introduction to Business and Management
Course Reference: M1.1 IBM
Focus: Business and Management
Introduction to Business & Management is a foundation module that aims to provide learners with a broad view on key management topics, concepts and issues within the local as well as the global business environment. The aim of this module is to provide a solid base that will support and initiate learners through the concepts of business and management.
While developing an understanding of the nature of management nature and its role particularly in the context of business organisations, learners will explore a range of topics through underlying theories and the practical aspects of management. The learners will develop their understanding of issues that organisations face and explore the functions of management, and the managerial skills needed to run a business. Learners will also gain insights into the role and impact of global economy and macroeconomics on businesses.
By the end of module, learners will have gained knowledge of fundamental concepts and processes of management in organisations and develop skills to analyse business organisation.
Our tutors have excellent experience within their field of expertise as well as the necessary academic background. You will receive a high-quality delivery in a participative environment. You will be engaged in discussions, activities, case studies, presentations and group work creating a bond between you and other students that forges friendships and a new network of professionals.
There are no exams on this programme. The method of assessment to attain this award is based on different methods such as preparing a portfolio of work, building a reflective journal, writing an assignment, and others. The assignment brief is available to you in good time so that you can organise and plan your study time accordingly week by week. You will be guided through the assessment requirements, and you will also receive ongoing feedback throughout the course of studies.
Delivery of sessions are held in the evenings (typically starting at 17:30 hours) on different weekdays and according to the timetable of the modules. There is also the possibility of a few Saturday morning sessions.
Opportunities for further studies
Upon successful completion of this Award, you can:
- Take up the opportunity to follow other Awards in different areas of business and management, or
- Follow the Certificate in Business and Management (30 ECTS), and
- This Certificate programme will also lead you to further studies.
This award is designed for:
- Adult learners who want to have an immersive learning experience in this area.
- Working professionals, who have been working for a number of years, and who would like to acquire competencies, knowledge and skills in this area of business and management.
- Prospective learners, who already have a Level 4 and/or a Level 5 qualification, and who would like to challenge themselves within this area of business and management, to further develop their expertise.
The entry requirements are:
- Three MQF/EQF Level 4 individual single subject qualifications and at least 18 years of age.
- One MQF/EQF Level 4 qualification of at least 120 ECTS, or equivalent and at least 18 years of age.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and at least 24 years of age.
- The MATSEC Matriculation Certificate. This comprises 6 subjects, and include passes in a language, a science subject, a humanistic subject, and a pass in the subject ‘Systems of Knowledge’. Two of the 6 subjects must be at an Advanced Level, three of the subjects must be at an Intermediate Level and a pass at the ‘Systems of Knowledge’ subject.
- A pass (at least Grade 5 of better) in the Secondary Education Certificate examinations in the following subjects: English language, Mathematics, and one other subject.
Other equivalent (international) qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All learners must have proficiency in the English language (evidence of use of the English language at work, 0-level pass in the English language, English as the national language or mother tongue, or other equivalent foreign qualifications equating to Common European Framework (at B2), such as IELTS (overall score of 6.0 with no element less than 5.5), Cambridge English (overall score of 169 with minimum scores of 162), TOEFL (at 72) and others).
- Evaluate critically how external factors including macroeconomics have an impact on organisations.
- Analyse in depth the macroeconomic performance of a national economy and the impact that this has on the activities of business organisations
- Examine critically government policies that influence the activities of business organisations
- Comparatively appraise the effectiveness of different management approaches within different organisations
- Meaningfully design a basic management competency framework for a defined (specific) organisation
- Underlying management principles (such as Henry Fayol’s 14 principles) of a range of management functions.
- The core elements of macroeconomics (GDP, economic output, inflation and employment) and their relevance to business organisations
- A broad understanding of major theoretical frameworks and approaches to management within business contexts such as Douglas McGregor’s X&Y theory, and Frederick Taylor’s scientific theory.
- Different concepts and role of management functions (such as planning, organising, staffing, directing) and how these contribute to business success.
- A variety of organisational understandings and corresponding responsibilities (legal, corporate, people, environmental, community, and ethical) within the local and broader global context
- The core elements of effective management practices such as delegation, leadership, problem solving.
- The different levels of management found in organisations
- The different roles managers take on in different organisational settings
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Thoughtfully and fairly apply theoretical frameworks identified above to explain differences between organisations operating in a range of sectors, industries, and contexts
- Critically assess the organisational responsibilities of businesses such as those related to human talent and engagement, sustainability and the environment, ethics, and finance
- Progressively evaluate the nature, importance, and seriousness of the challenges related to different management functions
- Analytically examine the desired skill sets of a range of manager roles
- Compare and contrast the different roles managers need to adopt in a range of settings and situations
Judgement skills and critical abilities
- Analyse the performance of a national economy, including macroeconomic measures, and the impact that this has on the activities of business organisations
- Critically evaluate macroeconomic government policies that influence the activities of business organisations
- Deconstruct and synthesise the nature of management within business organisations
- Deduce a range of different management principles in a variety of business contexts and how these are embedded in an organisation
- Ethically apply concepts, principles and strategies to business activities
|Accreditation Status||Approved Local Higher Education Programme|
|Level of Qualification||MQF / EQF Level 5|
|Mode of Delivery||Traditional / Face-to-Face Learning|
|Hours of Learning||Contact Hours: 40 / Self-Study Hours: 120 / Assessment Hours: 40 / Total Hours: 200|
|Study mode||Work based programme delivered in the evenings and some Saturdays.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Programme Delivered||Malta Business School, Level 3, Sean Building, Psaila Street Birkirara BKR1908, Malta|
|Mode of assessment||Assessed pieces of work (no exam)|
|Teaching and Learning Approach||At MBS our teaching and learning approach is based on adult learning principles and is unreservedly participant centred and experiential in nature. Participants are expected to contribute in group work and discussions and actively participate during sessions.|
|Grading System as approved by MFHEA||Fail, Pass, Merit and Distinction|
|Date of Next Intake||To be announced|
|Registration||Send us your CV for review and without obligation so that we can check your eligibility for this programme.|
|Visa Requirements||Third Country Nationals are advised to read VISA requirements from here|
|Progression Pathways||Successful learners who achieve this Award might want to join the Certificate in Business and Management programme, the Diploma in Business and Management programme, the Higher Diploma in Business and Management programme, and the Bachelor in Business and Management programme. Talk to us so that we will guide you accordingly.|
Terms & Conditions apply, talk to us for further detail on this programme.